If you consider yourself a part of the growing cannabis community, you’ve heard of the famous strain Sour Diesel. If you’re interested in this fantastic strain, check out the original Sour Diesel strain for all your Sour D needs!
What Strains Are Sour Diesel Crossed With? An Exploration of Its Horticultural Lineage and Uses
Interestingly, it’s one of the most widespread, potent, and fragrant strains ever cultivated. It’s a tragedy that few people genuinely understand the appeals of ‘good old Sour D’ other than its signature uplifting high. Worry not, because that’s what this article’s for.
Verdant Profile (Sativa, 8.5/10)
Popularized in the 1990s, its Sativa energy boost and its namesake gasoline-Esque aroma have captivated the hearts of potheads and connoisseurs alike.
Typical leaves appear sour green, with a bit of red hair. True to its name, its odor resembles diesel with some tones of pine. It even tastes like pine. In addition to having 26% THC, it sports 2% CBD and 4% CBN during extractions.
The terpenes of cannabis prevalently affect its flavors, scents, and corresponding high. In Sour Diesel, the dominant terpene is caryophyllene. In addition, there are hints of myrcene and limonene in the mix.
- Caryophyllene is a spicy, peppery terpene with anti-inflammatory properties.
- Myrcene is best known for its use in hops, giving beers a peppery, spicy, and balsamic fragrance.
- Limonene, produced in the flower’s resin glands, is commonly associated with citrusy aromas.
How Much Does Sour Diesel Cost?
It was sold for $50 a gram back when it was called Diesel. Since then, people have also started calling it “Sour” because of its infamy in straining relationships.
What Is Sour Diesel Crossed With?
While most information is speculation, reliable sources have claimed that Sour D started in a 1991 tour by the Grateful Dead. It was said that Chemdawg, grown from Chem Dog seeds purchased during this tour, was accidentally mixed with either Super Skunk, Skunk#1, or Northern Lights strains, thus creating the first Sour Diesel.
How Is the Hit?
As a Sativa with higher THC content than others, the high from Sour Diesel is well-respected for its energetic and euphoric effects. It also increases creativity, making it popular for wake-and-bakes.
The high has been described as dreamy, cerebral, fast-acting, and energizing, characterized by a strong head high and relaxing body control. Depending on how much and how long you inhale, the hit can either come slowly or hit hard and fast. On the other hand, the comedown is lovely; this is an excellent Sativa for sleeping.
While it is a top cash crop strain, counting on Sour D for a steady supply may be troublesome. It is a relatively tall cultivar that needs constant light, regular trimming, and an unusually long flowering time. It blooms in 77 days. It should be given room to grow.
It grows best in a dry, outdoor climate. Because this strain is prone to powdery mildew, you also need to take precautions to create a sterile environment —with humidity of around 60%— to keep Sour D safe.
Cooking with Special Diesel
Cooking with sour diesel can be a great way to try this product. Check out this recipe for using sour diesel in culinary.
- 4 tsp. olive oil infused with Sour Diesel. Here’s a how-to guide on how to infuse the oil.
- 1 lb. broccolini, peel the stems and half the spears lengthwise.
- Salt To taste.
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 12 oz. dried bucatini (fun!) or spaghetti
First popularized by American rapper and chef Action Bronson, this THC-loaded bucatini pasta uses broccolini, red pepper flakes, and Sour Diesel-infused olive oil.
- Make the broccolini sauté.
- Mince or slice the garlic.
- Warm the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Start cooking the broccolini, add it in, then stir it occasionally until crisp-tender, for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Salt to taste
- Toss in the garlic, red pepper flakes, and sauté until the garlic begins to brown. Stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Add the pasta, making sure that it is fully submerged. Stir occasionally. Follow the pasta packaging instructions to cook to al dente or cook to taste.
- Drain the water.
- Add pasta to the broccolini sauté sauce in a skillet or bowl.
- Toss the pasta with tongs to coat.
- Serve warm.
Sour Diesel is well-known in medical marijuana for relieving sadness, pain, and tension. According to some reviewers, paranoia is a common side effect due to increased cerebral activity, which is something to be wary of.
Sour Diesel, also known as Sour D, is a Sativa strain with citrusy, sour, and somewhat pungent odors but a zesty and earthy taste. When ready to harvest, its leaves are deep green, with calyxes covered in white trichomes and thin reddish hairs. The little information we have about Sour Diesel’s ancestry is based on myth and legend.
However, this doesn’t change the fact that Sour D has a distinct flavor, appearance, and aroma. Its high is also worth bragging about, leaving you with vim and vigor.