Making Money From Your Clutter
Whether you hire a professional organizer or work on it yourself, getting rid of the clutter brings a peaceful feeling to your home. But did you know there are super easy ways of making money from your clutter?
Clutter can be a problematic issue in any home. When you start building up a collection of random things, it can get out of control and eventually spill into your rooms. Boxes might start piling up outside cupboards and cabinets, making it impossible to clean up your home to make more space.
Making Money From Your Clutter
One of the first things to do is sort your clutter into piles of valuable items. This can be a little tricky, depending on how much clutter you have and how random it is. You’ll likely want to pick out anything you know is worth money. A great example is any electronics or valuable items that are still functional. In other words, any item that can still serve its original function or purpose can likely be sold – you can even make money selling wine these days!
Sorting your clutter into valuable piles
One of the first things to do is sort your clutter into piles of valuable items. This can be a little tricky, depending on how much clutter you have and how random it is. You’ll likely want to pick out anything you know is worth money. A great example is any electronics or valuable items that are still functional. In other words, any item that can still serve its original function or purpose can likely be sold.
It’s a good idea to consider what could be more valuable now that it’s a little older. For instance, an old chair or table could be worth a lot more if it’s an antique. Defining an antique is a little tricky. It’s not immediately apparent if something is worth a lot of money, and you’ll typically need to get it appraised before you decide to list it on a website or a local marketplace.
Since antiques have a vast price range, it’s usually best to sell them on dedicated websites. But for now, just valuing it or getting a rough idea of its worth is a crucial step.
Deciding if you want to sell your clutter
One of the most straightforward ways to make money from your clutter is to sell it. Selling your clutter can involve a few extra steps because you’re generally expected to list it on a marketplace or auction website. You also need to value it, and you should expect people to occasionally try and haggle with you, especially if it’s on a marketplace website. This is just a regular part of selling goods on the internet, but there are other solutions if you don’t want to deal with this hassle.
For example, a smart solution to sell your jewelry would be to use a dedicated online service instead of a marketplace. You can get an immediate quote from these companies in most cases, so you know exactly how much you’re being offered. You won’t get haggled on a price, and they might even help pay for some shipping costs. This is a highly convenient way to get rid of items such as jewelry which can be challenging to value. This is still technically selling your clutter, but it’s not done through a marketplace which can be much easier for some people.
If you don’t want to sell your items, you can donate them. You won’t get much money from donating your goods (in most cases, you won’t get any), but you’ll be satisfied knowing it will be a worthy cause.
The advantage is that donating your goods generally means getting rid of most types of clutter instead of just selling valuable items. For example, you can often donate large bags of clothes you don’t need for a much smaller price, but it’s easier than trying to value each item and sell them individually.
Having a garage sale can also be an option.
Hosting a garage sale is a great way to earn money from your clutter. You can put out any items you don’t want and let people look through your goods to see what you have on offer. This is often a much easier way to get rid of your clutter since you’re selling locally to people you know. There are also public garage sales where people can take a car loaded with different items, then sell them from their trunks.
This is usually a great option if you’re not looking to make too much money from your goods but want them to go to people who can use them better. It’s a fantastic way to connect with your local community and can be an excellent place to pick up valuable items. Sales like this can be fun if you’re willing to spend a whole day and meet some amiable locals.
Tips for selling your goods to other people
The most common way to make money from your clutter is to sell it to other people on marketplaces or online auction websites. Still, there are a couple of ways to improve the chances of making a sale and plenty of ways to increase the value of your items. So here are a few tips to help you out.
- Value your items similarly to other people. Don’t forget to check what other people are selling items for. If you’re selling on a website like eBay, you can usually check out the prices for which other people have sold the item. This will ensure that your item is priced reasonably and will improve your chances of making a sale.
- Take plenty of photographs of the items. The best way to improve your chances of a sale is to take plenty of flattering photographs of the item. This will show its condition and allow you to show that it’s working. People might think you’re selling a fake item or trying to scam them if you don’t have photographs.
- Describe the item as best as you can. If you’re selling something like an electronics device, you don’t need to list everything, such as the specs. However, you should at least describe the condition as best as you can and be truthful about any quirks or problems. This is the best way to avoid disputes once the item has been sold. If you have clearly described the item and its condition, the seller can’t make a case against you if it isn’t as described, especially if you have photographs to prove it.
- Avoid meeting in person if you don’t feel safe about it. It’s uncommon to meet people on the internet who will scam you or try to steal your item, but it’s still a precaution you should take if it’s an item that you can quickly send in the mail. If it’s an expensive item, such as high-end fashion items or expensive electronics, you should be wary of anyone wanting to meet with you in person to sell the item.
- Package the items as best as you can. If you’re going to mail an item, you should try to package it as best as possible. Even if you’re selling in person, you should try to find the original box for the item, if applicable, and use plenty of packing materials to ensure it’s safe.
Making Money From Your Clutter
These tips should help you make a quick sale on marketplaces and other websites to eliminate clutter and get the most value from your sales.