Back in the good ol’ 90s, grey hairs were considered a sign of aging and bad luck. A lot has changed since then. We have very different concepts of beauty. Now, everyone wants to look like that grey-haired classic look.
How did it make such a comeback from a dreaded color to an ultra-hip hairstyle?
No, it is not easy to get this hair artificially – but it’s not impossible neither. You can follow specific tips and tricks to get your very own salt and pepper hair at home.
How did the salt and pepper hair trend start?
The pioneering personality behind this salt and pepper hair trend is a famous colorist from California.
Before 2021, grey hair wasn’t in style. No one wants to dye their hair grey for fashion. Instead, people would seek out black hair dye once they see a few grey strands. James’s colorist completely changed the public’s notion by dying celebrities’ hair grey.
Nowadays, you can even pick from many salt and pepper hair shades to better suit your taste. It’s probably too much to choose from considering they’re pretty similar – just a few shades brighter or darker.
“These aren’t grey hairs. These are strands of glitter!”
It can be attributed to an influencer slash blogger who dyed his hair silver in India. He started positioning grey hair as a super elegant and fancy color.
Start from a good haircut
The very first step is to get a good haircut. Why? – you ask:
New, growing hair strands are less black compared to your current hair. It gets exposed, becoming shinier, glossier than ever. Don’t worry. It will grow back in a few months naturally. Or, if you want to speed it up, try these shampoos for hair growth.
In many cases, that’s all you need to hinder your hair’s blackness and ensure a super-effective dying process.
The same can be said with your facial hair. Give it a nice trim.
Application of good quality and dermatologists approved hair color
Right, now you have a new trim, now it’s TIME TO DYE (get it?)
First off, double-check the hair color you picked. You won’t want to regret it later on. Silver dyes give you that slightly mysterious hint of silver, and there are also greyish white hues for people who want something less noticeable.
Which shades are present in salt and pepper hair?
- Salt and pepper ombre
- Salt and pepper with neon yellow
- Salt and pepper with black roots
- Salt and pepper with graphite tone
- Salt and pepper baby lights
- Salt and pepper somber
- Highlighted salt and pepper
- Salt and pepper balayage
- Natural salt and pepper look
- Dirty salt and pepper look
- Ashy salt and pepper look
As a dermatologist, I also highly recommend high-quality hair dyes. The reason is that low-quality hair dyes usually don’t stick, don’t work, or, in worse cases, hurt your scalp and hair follicles. Hair dyes are associated with hair loss and early balding.
A safe bet I recommend as a dermatologist is the L’Oreal hair dyes. It’s a widely available hair dye reviewed and used extensively by many. It’s also safe to use.
Application of anti-yellow shampoo
After dying your hair grey, one of the most crucial next steps is to use an anti-yellow shampoo.
Your anti-yellow shampoo has a bluish and purplish tint that can cancel out the yellowy effect on your hair – giving it the perfect silver and grey shade.
I recommend Kerastase Paris products for the most part. It’s effective, instantaneous when it comes to giving that shine and glow you’re looking for. It’s also free from toxic chemicals, which is of utmost importance to me.
Waxing of hair (optional)
Use a good wax to provide and maintain whichever look and feel you want – glossy or matte. Again, make sure that you use high-quality products that won’t lead to your hair falling out one day. Pro tip: don’t skimp on personal care products that affect your confidence.
Comb your hair after applying the wax to style them easier.
How to maintain your salt and pepper hair?
The last step is to maintain salt and pepper hair to have them for a long time. A few things should be kept in mind to enjoy their tint in the long run.
Now, you have that picture-perfect mane. How can you maintain it? Follow these few steps, and you should be good to go:
- Oil your hair regularly
- Wash your hair daily and use a nice conditioner
- Comb your hair gently and right after your hair styling product.
- Decrease your exposure to the sun
- Take necessary multivitamins
- Apply aloe vera juice or onion juice on your hair, once per week
Salt and pepper hair has gained much traction in all the people of our society. It is essential to go through each step to have our own perfectly dyed salt and pepper hair.
Salt and pepper hair is becoming mainstream in recent times, and it’s not showing any signs of stopping. Following the tips above, you’d be sure to get your hair dyed perfectly, maintained expertly, and, most importantly, safe for your body.
Visit a professional hair salon if you are new to dying your hair. They can make sure your hair gets dyed effectively and safely. Following tips or using services from untrustworthy sources can have a counter-effect.
In the case where you do attempt to do it at home – contact a doctor in case of any allergic reactions.
- DESI-STORIES. 2015. “10 Reasons Why Salt N Pepper Hair Looks So Damn Sexy.” April 13, 2015. https://desinema.com/salt-n-pepper-hair-looks-good/.
- Dollanganger, Coco. 2019. “All About Salt And Pepper Hair – A Trend 2021 Designed To Spice Up Your Look.” March 24, 2019. https://lovehairstyles.com/salt-and-pepper-hair-color/.
- George, Riaan. 2021. “Salt and Pepper Hair Grooming Dos and Don’ts You Need to Know.” June 19, 2021. https://www.lifestyleasia.com/ind/beauty-grooming/grooming/salt-and-pepper-hair-have-their-own-grooming-dos-and-donts-heres-a-quick-guide/.
- Kremy. 2021. “Salt and Pepper Hair Color – Make Your Gray Hair Look Super Trendy.” Deavita.net. March 8, 2021. https://deavita.net/salt-and-pepper-hair-color-trendy-gray-hair.html.