Preparing for the needs of your newborn is quite simple. There could be a long list of items required to ensure maximum comfort for you and your child. But don’t rush because this checklist will get you ready quickly. Here are some of the baby care essentials you should have:
5 Baby Care Essentials For Your Newborn
1. Medicine Cabinet Checklist
Your medicine cabinet should now contain essentials to treat your little one’s ailments, such as fever, bites, rashes, scrapes, or cuts. You can buy the content of your medicine cabinet at a physical drug store or from an online pharmacy. Some of these include the following:
- Antiseptic wipes
- Digital thermometer
- Cotton balls
- Saline drops or saline nasal spray to loosen mucus
- Cotton balls
- Rubbing alcohol to clean the thermometer
2. Baby Clothes
It’s OK to indulge in a little retail therapy by purchasing some nice outfits for your baby, but make the basics your priority. Consider the season when the baby arrives so you can dress your baby appropriately for the weather. Most importantly, it would be best if you also looked for comfortable, easy-to-wear clothes that are durable enough to withstand multiple washes. As such, here are the features that you should look for when shopping for newborn clothes:
- Sleeves that are loose or wide enough to pull or push your baby’s arms.
- Stretchy fabrics so that they’re not tight around your baby’s neck, legs, or arms.
- Clothes that are free from strings or ribbons that may get entangled around your baby’s neck and choke them.
- Garments with zippers or snaps to make diaper changing easier.
Besides clothes and medicine, you should also purchase some baby’s furniture. Having the essential pieces of furniture will make your baby comfortable. Here are some of them:
- Baby Bouncer: Play with your newborn using a baby bouncer by swinging it gently.
- Dresser: Having one can help organize your baby’s clothes easier. At the same time, you can use the top of the dresser as a changing area.
- Changing Station: A changing station is also necessary, especially if you have more expansive space. Just ensure that it’s sturdy enough.
- Crib: Use a bassinet or crib to allow your infant to sleep comfortably in the same room as you. In addition, choose a standard-sized crib, so you can avoid buying a new one every time your baby grows.
4. Breastfeeding Gear
You can also make the nursing process go more smoothly using different breastfeeding gears. The following items can help you feed your newborn without much hassle while keeping both of you clean:
- Nipple cream
- Nipples and bottles if you’ll pump milk for someone to feed your baby
- Chest or breast pump (manual or electric)
- Freezer-safe chest or breast milk storage containers or bags
- Burp cloths
- Reusable nursing pads
- Nursing bras
- Nursing pillow
5. Diapering Checklist
Diaper changes are a regular and crucial part of being a parent. You may need to stock up on diapers and other diapering essentials like the ones listed below.
- Diaper Rash Cream: It’s common for babies to get diaper rash occasionally. Nevertheless, ointment or cream may be required if the occurrences are frequent or the effects last for an extended period. However, you must consult a baby’s healthcare provider before doing anything.
- Washcloths: These can help clean your baby at bath time or when wiping your baby after eating.
- Wipes: You can use these to wipe the diaper area of your newborn. This convenient travel essential should be a priority when packing for a trip with your baby.
- Changing Pad: Use a changing pad to protect the changing table and keep your baby comfortable. You have the option of buying washable pads or cushions with removable coverings.
- Changing Table: The diaper changing table provides a secure spot to change your newborn’s diaper. Invest in one with storage space for your baby’s new outfits, wipes, and diapers. As the drawers are within reach, you won’t have to leave your infant on the table to get what you need. However, ensure they are out of your child’s reach, especially as they age. The best thing about a changing table is its ability to prevent your little one from rolling over or falling from the table since it comes with a strap. But ensure you keep one hand on your little one and don’t rely on the fastened strap.
Baby Care Essentials: Conclusion
When a baby is on the way, stocking up on necessities for their care is essential. You need to have the fundamentals covered, such as food, medicine, clothing, bedding, and diapers for your baby. These can all help ease your mind and that of your newborn.